Followers

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Walking in the Theosophical Society, Adyar, Chennai

While walking this morning in the society today, I was thinking how fortunate I am to live in Besant Nagar, whch is close to the society. Surely, if my home is very far away, I will not even think of walking in this vast forest-like grounds in the heart of the city.
I get to meet many interesting people. Sometimes, I meet some walkers every day, but we just pass on with a small smile or a "good morning" each intent on walking or immersed in some thoughts,or listening to music on the ipod. There is a wonderful old couple, whom I meet almost every day. The husband is just 93 years young with a wonderful sense of humor. He is so active and even drives himself and his devoted wife everyday to the grounds. His wife, about ten years younger, is a wonderful old lady and just loves people. Sometimes, I feel very young while walking in the society since most of the co-walkers are either in the sixties or seventies though I am in early fifties myself.
Almost every day I meet some bird watcher or the either.There are plenty of rare birds on the grounds. My sister, a fellow walker, claims that is a family of four small owls on a tree near the entrance. She stands there very often admiring them. After overnight rain, I see snails, big and small, laboriously crossing the walking path. I pause quite often to admire them and am very careful not to step on them.Very often, a family of mongooses  quickly darts playfully across the path. People claim that there are plenty of snakes in the society though I am yet to see a single one. ( I hope I don't meet one either. I hate snakes.)
 The path I like best is the one running parallel to the Adayar river. It is so beautiful in the morning. One hears sounds of fishermen fishing in the shallow waters and bringing in their catch. Further down the path is a small gate which leads to the beach. It is almost like a private beach with only walkers here and there. The beach here is much cleaner than the Marina or the Ellliots.One can see the Adayar river entering the sea from this point.During the Olive Ridley hatching season, one can see a protected enclosure wherein the eggs are stored. The baby turtles are let out into the sea batch by batch. It is a fascinating  sight to see the baby turtles walking unhesitantly towards the sea. A huge crowd is usually present cheering them on.

The picture you see in the blog is a tall cactus plant in full bloom!

No comments: